Sunday 29 April 2012

Airfix Pontoon Bridge

When I was young I really wanted one of these but for some reason it never happened (50 new pence did seem quite an unobtainable sum in those days).  In the end we made one out of a strip of hardboard with glued on cardboard sides.  The girders were drawn in by hand.

I know, it sounds like the sort of construction materials that Bluebottle from the Goons would come up with.  Still, we had many happy river crossing battles with it but sadly no images exist, other than in my mind's eye.
Anyway, Airfix has re-released it at a very reasonable price and has even kept the same box art.  You have to hand it to Airfix, they really know their products and the type of nostalgics like me who often buy them (and I did, this time around).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good old Airfix! Target market must be the 40 pluses!

The Wishful Wargamer said...

Yes, the impression that Airfix made on me will probably never dissipate. Oh well, I'll just have to buy more kits I never had as a kid... ker-ching!

Cheers WW

Scottswargaming said...

Brings back memories... I had a set as a kid... endlessly stormed commandos across it in face of german opposition... gave all my toy soldiers away when I grew up; "I wont need those again"... now I have a son of my own and wish I'd kept them all, as they are just as much fun to an 8yr old now as they were 30 odd years ago...