Tuesday 5 June 2012

Quick Marsh!

Having now made sufficient river sections to have numerous river configurations on my DBA board, with enough of it to stretch easily from one end of my main 6' wargames board to the other (I don't know when to stop), I decided that I might as well make some more terrain in the same vein, i.e. some marsh.  As before, my starting point was various bits of spare lino cut to shape conforming to the DBA maximum terrain dimensions.
As you can see I selected lino pieces with a mixture of blue (water), brown (mud) and sand (sand).  The next job was to paint round the edges to cover the exposed white bits, to blend in with my playing surface and to provide something for the PVA glue to key into. As before this was Dulux 'gamboge' emulsion.
I then glued on some coarse shelly sand that comes from a nearby Scottish beach.
I put some of the sand in central parts of the terrain pieces over the sandy coloured and brown areas, leaving the blue(ish) water between.  I then added some of the yellowish green Winter static grass that I'd used previously and that was it.
Here are some close-ups of my handiwork (this one is about 140mm by 100mm).
There are some larger pieces of shell there which fortuitously appeared on this tile from the sand box, so I just painted these as bits of wood or other debris.
And here it is finished off with the Javis style Winter static grass.  I think they've worked out quite well and I now have some more DBA compliant terrain to use.  I'm pondering what to do next but I think vineyards, woods, roads, some more hills and possibly a BUA may well be on the cards.

5 comments:

Michael Awdry said...

What a great result and tutorial to boot. It is certainly proving to be very versatile stuff.

The Wishful Wargamer said...

Thanks - I appreciate your comments. I have to make it into a tutorial as I can never remember what I did so it helps me the next time I get around to making anything!

Monty said...

Brilliant! Now I need to dig around for some spare linoleum.

Ben Gilmour said...

They've turned out really well! Thanks for the tutorial

Paul O'G said...

Great article, thanks!
They look great