Friday 8 April 2011

Travelling Man

Well, it’s been a quick six weeks but this will probably be my last post for a while. We’ve been on St Helena since the end of February and now it’s time to go. I’ve not dwelt on island issues in this blog apart from highlighting some of the interesting East India Company fortifications that the island has to offer. If you want to see more of the island, visit the memsahib’s blog so you can see what the place looks like.   And me being silly.
The journey back to ‘civilisation’ is a long one as there is no airport here (yet) so we have to take the RMS St Helena to Cape Town, which takes about 5 days. Only Tristan da Cunha is more remote (one of the group is actually called Inaccessible Island).  It took three days sailing from Ascension Island to get here in the first place so this leg will seem quite a cruise. I don’t think I will ever get used to the beef tea served at 1030 every day although I will be quite the expert at deck quoits. Thereafter we’re staying in South Africa for a week or so and hope to be back in Scotland by May (we can fly the last bit). 
There are a few days to go before we leave the island in fact but Cable & Wireless cut off the internet early in case you forget to pay... so I’ll be offline from this weekend unless I can hook up somewhere temporarily. However, I’ve one or two things to do before we leave.  One of those is to visit Longwood House, where Napoleon spent the last years of his life. If it’s at all interesting I’ll do a post about it when I get back. 
Finally, I just wanted to say that it’s been great here and the people are so friendly. Imagine nearly everyone you pass in the street saying hello and almost every car driver waving as they go past. The terrain and landscape is fantastic and the precipitous roads and hairpin bends a joy. And of course the ecology, wildlife, landscape and relaxed lifestyle here are amazing and in some cases unique, all of which is worth preserving. 
I hope that we’ll be able to come back here one day, but in the meantime this is the Wishful Wargamer logging out for a few weeks. See you when I get back. 

Cheers

No comments: