Sunday 8 December 2019

The Russians are Coming No.4

OK, last post about my newly painted 15mm early period Napoleonic Russians (until the next lot are ready, probably).  Just some generals and artillery.  There was a bit of a mix and match going on with these artillery units.  The guns are actually from Naismith (Navwar used to sell them) but the figures are either Warrior or Roundway. 
Warrior figures; Naismith guns (Russian 12lb)
I paired the Roundway crews with Naismith "Licornes", which I believe were a sort of cross between a cannon and a howitzer.  These have some odd zoomorphic handles on the top (i.e. they look like animals) and apparently Licorne is Russian for "unicorn". 
Roundway figures; Naismith guns (10lb Licornes)
I have four more guns (with crews) to paint and base and these will have Warrior cannons, which are noticeably larger than the Naismith guns.  And just to note that the Russian crew have black collars and cuffs piped in red.  To do these I painted the facings red and then over-painted in black to leave the piping along the edge.  Quite pleased with that which is why I mentioned it.
Warrior: Russian general
The generals are all Warrior and I apologise for the photos being a bit blurry/far away.  I like these figures as they're quite jaunty (well I think so).
Warrior: Russian general
This last one is actually a Warrior Prussian general (probably supposed to be Blücher) that I painted in Russian campaign dress.  Being a bit of a dull composition on his own I added a spare standard bearer (flag still to be added).
Warrior: Prussian/Russian general
Anyway, that's it for now you'll be relieved to learn.  I've a few more infantry regiments, artillery, dragoons and more cossacks to paint (one can never have enough cossacks), plus some (surprise!) German allies to supplement Geoff's French.  I expect I'll be busy over the Christmas holidays getting those done...